Main Content Area
Welcome to the Advanced Energy Institute
SIU Carbondale is one of the leaders energy research in Illinois. Explore these pages for more information about the energy research areas and interests of the SIU community.
- The SIU Community can sign up for the Coal and Energy email listserv (instructions).
- Read about the new SIU Registered Student Organization called "IDEEAS: Innovation in Developing Energy, Engineering and Applied Sciences."
The challenge of producing safe, clean and sustainable energy requires the integration of science and technology, economics and policy. The mission of the Advanced Energy Institute is to assist the University in meeting this challenge by:
- Fostering and facilitating energy research, building on the existing strengths of our institution and our region, to enhance the local economy and promote environmental quality, both locally and globally.
- Training SIUC’s undergraduate and graduate students to become leaders in the energy sector by teaching cutting edge science, engineering, policy and economics.
- Engaging stakeholders in the energy sector and the public at large in the region, nationally and internationally, and disseminating the state of the art energy-related research produced at SIUC.
- Building partnerships with the private sector and bringing innovative, competitive energy solutions to the marketplace.
In an era of constrained budgets and reduced resources, finding creative ways to enhance educational programs, public outreach, and research and scholarly activity without additional funds can be challenging. But SIU Carbondale faculty, administrators, and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Dean are working together to do just that. In December, Chancellor Rita Cheng approved the initiative to establish the SIU Advanced Energy Institute (AEI). The initiative was the result of a series of discussions among faculty and administrators with an interest in energy and environmental activities on the SIU Carbondale campus.
Reporting to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Dean, the AEI will operate as a consortium of campus research centers and graduate programs. The Coal Research Center, the Materials Technology Center, the Center for Ecology, the Professional Science Master’s in Advanced Energy and Fuels Management, and the Environmental Resources and Policy PhD Program will work together to promote and strengthen energy and environmental activities on the SIU Carbondale campus. Their focus will be: to increase externally-funded research and scholarly activities in energy and environmentally-related disciplines; to enhance and support existing energy and environmentally-focused academic programs; and to foster and facilitate the exchange of information on energy topics on campus.
In January, 2010, a steering committee comprised of participating unit directors was formed. With input from both internal and external advisory boards, the committee will assess existing campus energy activities, organize an energy and environmental seminar series, and cultivate collaborative activities with other institutions. The committee plans to meet monthly with each unit providing administrative support from existing programs, eliminating the need for dedicated funding.
SIU has long history of energy and environmentally-related research, education, and scholarship. Building on the solid foundation of SIUC’s educational programs, the expertise of our faculty, and the diversity of our energy activities to date, the Advanced Energy Institute will aid in the development of SIUC as a leader in the energy arena, training future energy and environmental professionals, fostering discovery and innovation, and developing solutions to some of the world’s most challenging energy and environmental problems.